Wednesday, February 07, 2007

NY Times parting from a paper version?


Ok. I admit I am a newspaper snob. I love reading great newspapers and read several each day on the Web. This is not to say I do not love the feeling of newsprint in my hands. It's just easier for me to read our two local papers as well as the Washington Post, New York Times, Columbus Dispatch and Detroit Free Press online since all but the first two would require me to spend more time in a 7-11 or Barnes and Noble than I want to.

Now Il Haaretz has an interview with Arthur Sulzberger who heads the family which owns the Times talking about the future of newspapers.

Check these quotes.

"I really don't know whether we'll be printing the Times in five years, and you know what? I don't care either," he says.

Sulzberger is focusing on how to best manage the transition from print to Internet, something it already does pretty well towards replicating the experience.

"The Internet is a wonderful place to be, and we're leading there," he points out.

The Times, in fact, has doubled its online readership to 1.5 million a day to go along with its 1.1 million subscribers for the print edition.

Sulzberger says the New York Times is on a journey that will conclude the day the company decides to stop printing the paper. That will mark the end of the transition.

Read the whole article at http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/822775.html

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home